Are Gun Shows A Mirror Of Mass Insanity?

Gun Show1“Oh, Baby, don’t it make you feel powerful?”

saratoga-gun-show“Gotta get me one, with a huge magazine, that could kill hundreds…”

Gun-deaths-in-us

Friends, the other day I saw on my television footage of masses of Americans at gun shows. They were frantically buying assault weapons, the same ones used by the trained killers called soldiers.

They were  buying huge, menacing weapons plus thousands of rounds of ammo, extra large magazine clips, telescopic sights, etc. It was like America was threatened by an imminent invasion of Muslims who were going to exact revenge for the deaths America has caused across the world since WW2.

But I saw no sign of them, the Muslims. There were only Americans, mainly men but not all, who had serious faces and listened carefully as the sellers of the weapons went through their spiel about how wonderful the weapons were, how deadly, how efficient.

And, as I watched, I wondered how Jesus would feel, what he would say, what he would do should he appear at the gun shows and see educated, supposedly civilized Christian humans arming themselves with these obscene weapons.

But they didn’t just want one of them, oh, no! They also wanted handguns too, a gun for every situation, in the car, on the train, at the movies, in the purse.

And at the gun show, if there had been rocket-propelled grenades and heavy machine guns, I’m sure they would have sold out very quickly, such was the mood of fear and anxiety among the patrons who appeared to be bankers and clerks and car salesmen and taxi drivers, just ordinary folk, just ordinary, god-fearing, exceptional Americans.

The whole scene was an obscenity, a snapshot of mass insanity, indeed perhaps an echo of the Civil War because people were arming themselves to fight against…well, who?

Is it against the American Government? Is it to fight against the gangs that will run America when it collapses? Is it to fight against the non-whites within America or those coming over its borders? Or is it to fight against the poor and the homeless which America has created? Perhaps it’s against a foe that might one day invade and occupy just as the U.S. has been doing to other nations for sixty-plus years?

Or perhaps it is fear of the insanity, of the lust to kill, which seems to be part of most Americans!

9 thoughts on “Are Gun Shows A Mirror Of Mass Insanity?

1. I think that ideally there would/ should be no weapons in this World, but the fact is that there are lots of weapons in this World and the big question is Who? Who should have weapons and Who are the American people arming themselves against? The same government that makes house raids in the night in Iraq and Afghanistan? Kills by drone in countries we aren’t even at war with. Disarmed people after not rescuing them during Hurricane Katrina? I don’t want only my government thugs to have killer weapons. I want my fellow citizens to keep tyranny at bay. I don’t want only crazy people being able to go on killer rampages in unarmed zones where they know that no one will impede their death spree. I would rather that guns were owned legally and lawfully and people were trained to use them properly. And if some nut opens fire on innocent people, I would want someone to shoot that person to make them stop. Austia is an example of a Country where citizens are required to own and know how to use their guns and they have almost no crime.

I think that Jesus was trying to show us another possible World where differences are treated with compassion and understanding and love. No guns are needed in that World. I would rather live in that place. I will have my son learn aikido which is a non offensive martial art, but rather, turns the person’s anger that they come at you with- against themselves.

2. Sierra, unfortunately it seems as though Americans are brought up from birth with the idea that ownership of guns is a sacred right and they reject the notion that they shouldn’t have them at all. If you add to that all the violent movies and videos they see from an early age, you have a real problem where killing is seen as the ultimate solution.

A look at gun homicides shown in the above list seems to dispel any claim that having guns doesn’t lead to gun deaths.

3. The right to bear arms comes second to the right of free speech. Speaking our minds is our first sacred right. Second to that is apparently defending ourselves against tyrannical governments, even if it is our own. Considering what some governments are willing to do to their people, maybe its not such a bad right. We even glorified the native Americans going down with a fight because they had the right to defend themselves ultimately. Native Americans are fellow gentiles against the hidden hand of tyranny that we all fight. I will use my right of speech and I won’t stop others from doing what they need to do to defend themselves. I personally won’t use a gun, but I feel better that my government has some mechanism to keep it in check. Cheers!

4. For all the gun deaths in America, there were more deaths by beatings with a club or blunt object. I think there is a problem violence as the solution to problems and that is the fault of movies! Or at the very least, movies reinforce the reality that violence is the only way.

5. I thought in a democracy, the Government was elected by the people to represent the peoples’ interests, Sierra.

Why did the Founding Fathers in America set up a Constitution that allowed the people the possibility to fight against their elected leaders?

Did they know something about Americans that we don’t?

6. Our Founding Fathers left US a unique inheritance. They were worldly men from Europe who knew what the tyrants were capable of. They gave us a democracy which is a nice idea if we could keep it. They knew there was a chance that democracy could be overcome by tyranny if people were not vigilant. And that is exactly what happened and now here we are today. Libya under Ghaddaffi was probably more of an actual democracy than America is. Libya made the mistake of refusing global banks in their Country. Look what they did in Libya. We are under the same gun and it is a quiet war that has been waged. The US government has been taken over by these same International bankers and now that has occurred they want to strip away the Constitution and disarm the people. Our founders knew that this could happen and they prepared us for it. You won’t hear anybody in govt talking about the real reason for the second amendment. They will say guns are for sporting purposes and some people believe that, but that is not how it was written.

7. As far as the Democracy that the US Constitution writers left us, there hasn’t been much of that available in the entire history of the country. The US immediately took the path of Empire with Manifest Destiny/Monroe doctrine/Indian wars/slavery etc. and pretty much never looked back. Empires are not democratic undertakings since the people, if left to their own devices, are more interested in going to the square dance and keeping a farm than they are in fighting foreign wars and dining with the Queen.

Tyranny can only be avoided by the vast majority of people refusing to support with their blood and labor the oligarchs, plutocrats and megalomaniacs. Unfortuneately this kind of resistance takes more self-assurance and clarity of principal than most people can muster so we wind up perpetually in 1984. No amount of guns can, or will ever, change that, since tyranny is perpetrated and maintained through violence by those who have not learned how to lovingly cooperate. Democracy at it’s heart is about cooperation, mutual respect and a willingness to empathize with others while seeking a common ground where conflict is resolved peacefully to everyones mutual benefit.

Some pigs have learned to fly but most worldwide, across every culture, are still wallowing in their primitive egos, bent on self gratification through every means possible.

8. Democracy has been bastardized by politicians, oligarchs, plutocrats, megalomaniacs, corporations, the military, various Presidents, Media Barons, multi-billionaires, the Clerics, etc, Bob.

Perhaps we need to bring back the guillotine!

9. I’ve been reading some sites which talk about the confusion about what really happened at Sandy Hook, and how there are so many holes in the stories. There’s a very real opinion out there on the Internet that this massacre was either staged or was done so that Obummer could get tough on gun ownership.

Having heard about Operation Northwoods

it wouldn’t surprise me if the government decided to wag the dog and get everyone so horrified by the dreadful shooting of so many innocents that they’d sway people into accepting gun control.